This easy Vegan Egg Salad recipe is created in 5 minutes or less with mashed tofu, vegan mayo, nutrition yeast flakes, and amazing black salt (kala namak) that adds real ‘eggy’ flavor.Â The texture and flavor might fool your tastebuds into thinking that this is ‘real’ egg salad!
What you need to make Vegan Egg Salad:
Smash a package of firm, water-packed tofu with a fork, and you’ll see right a way what a great look-alike to Egg salad it is. Â The texture is great with little chunks and smaller bits masquerading as egg whites!
How to make Vegan Egg Salad:
Check out the ingredients in Photo 1 below starting clockwise from the top of the photo:
- Ground Tumeric (for color)
- Fresh Chives
- Nutritional Yeast Flakes (cheesy flavor)
- Vegan Mayo
- Yellow Mustard
- Black Salt (Kala Namak) Â (YES!!! Â This is a WONDER Ingredient more info below!)
- Onion Powder
The next steps are easy. Â This entire recipe whips up in about 5 minutes. Â Seriously fast and SO tasty. Â
Smash the tofu with a fork (Photo 2), add all your seasoning ingredients and mix it up! (Photos 3 & 4)
What is Black Salt or Kala Namak?
I don’t know why they call this salt ‘black’. Â It’s really more of a dark-red purple and when it’s ground to a powder above it is more of a light pink color. Â However, it’s most important attribute isn’t it’s color – it’s the sulphur flavor that it has! Â When you open the bag you’ll be shocked. Â It SMELLS like eggs!! Â Dip your finger in: Â It TASTES like eggs.
Here’s a photo of the baggie I used and an Amazon link to the product I use – Himalayan Black Salt. Â (You can also buy this at many Indian food markets!)
This Eggless wonder ingredient called Black Salt (Kala Namak)Â is also said to be amazing for your health, aiding in weight loss, bloating and intestinal gas decrease, etc. ,etc. Â Honestly, I’d eat it for the flavor alone, but hey, even more if it’s so good for me!!
Hope this quick and easy Vegan Egg Salad becomes one of your top favorite go-to recipes just like it is mine!! Â You might also enjoy:
- REAL Vegan Mozzarella Cheese
- Strawberry Lemonade Chia Drink
- Unbelievable Chocolate Chip Vegan Banana Bread
- Best Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce
If youâ€™ve tried this Vegan Egg Salad recipe or any other recipe on the blog then donâ€™t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I LOVE hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME onÂ FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what this blueberry farm girl is keepinâ€™ busy doing!!!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?? Â PLEASE CLICK ON THE STARS TO GIVE IT A RATING BELOW!!
Best Vegan Egg Salad Sandwich
- 16 oz. Firm Tofu (water-packed)
- 3 tbsp Fresh Chives Chopped
- 1/2 cup Vegan Mayo I use Follow your hear Vegenaise but others work well also
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Yellow Mustard
- 1 tsp Himalayan Black Salt Kala Namak or Black Indian Salt
- 1/8 tsp Tumeric
- Open Tofu package and press firmly to drain. Mash with fork to desired texture.
- Chop fresh chives and add to tofu.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well!
- Serve on toast or crackers as desired.