Classic egg custard is a dessert I have loved for as long as I can remember.Â My mom used to make it for dessert on occasion, and I was always so excited when I saw those little custard cups come out of the oven! I’ve made classic egg custard several times over the years, but somehow it always feel like so much waiting, and I am not exactly known for my patience. Enter this recipe, with only 5 minutes of prep time and 8 minutes of cook time, egg custard is easier than ever before!
This Instant Pot egg custard is absolutely delicious. It has the perfect custard texture with just a hint of vanilla and nutmeg. It’s not too sweet, which I love, but you can adjust the sugar based on your tastes. I like to make it less sweet and eat the leftovers as a snack. (And sometimes breakfast!ðŸ˜)
I used these Bellemain 4 oz. Porcelain Ramekins that I got from amazon, and all 6 stacked nicely into my 6 quart Instant pot.Â (Pro Tip: use canning tongs to remove the hot ramekins from the Instant Pot.)Â This is a fantastic egg custard recipe, and the fact that it only takes 8 minutes to cook is amazing! Try it tonight, you won’t regret it!
Need a way to use up those egg whites? How about Instant Pot Angel Food Cake?Â
Love Instant Pot Desserts? Try Nutella Bread Pudding or Instant Pot lemon curd?
Classic Egg Custard - In the Instant Pot!
- 3 Egg yolks
- 2 Whole eggs
- 1 1/2 Cups milk 2% or whole work best
- 1/3 Cups sugar
- 1 Tsp vanilla
- 1/4 Tsp salt
- 1/4 Tsp Ground nutmeg or cinnamon Optional
- Wisk together egg yolks, eggs, sugar, and spices until well incorporated. Add in milk and wisk until smooth. Pour mixture into ramekins, leaving about 1/2 inch of space at the top.
- Place the trivet in the bottom of your Instant Pot, and pour 1 cut of water into the bottom. Cover each ramekin in foil, and place them onto the trivet in two layers. Using the manual button, set the pot for 8 minutes, making sure the vent knob is set to sealing.
- When the timer goes off, manually release the pressure and remove ramekins from pot. (use tongs, they will be very hot!) You will know they are done when a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Uncover and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before serving. Can be served hot, at room temp, or chilled.