An easy side dish, theseÂ Balsamic Roasted Mushrooms take just 30 minutes using 6 simple ingredients.Â The perfectÂ compliment to any meal or a great holiday side dish. Vegan, gluten free, paleo, and Whole30 approved!
Last updated on October 30, 2019.
Coming in hot with another easy and healthy side dish. I mean it is the time of year for all the side dishes right? Pass on the turkey, more side dishes please! Totally kidding, but I do love sides. I also love mushrooms. And these balsamic roasted mushrooms couldn’t be easier!
Now that November is in full swing and holidays are upon us and it’s time to embrace it! I mean I’m not ready for Christmas or anything just yet, but I’ll take Thanksgiving.
For me Thanksgiving is all about the sides. The turkey is good, but was never my favorite. I am all about the sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, all the veggies, cranberry sauce, and bread. We usually have 3-4 choices on Thanksgiving thanks to demands from my sister.
But hey, I’ not complaining.
I make these oven roasted mushrooms fairly often and figured they would be a perfect side dish or appetizer come the holidays.Â Even though it is the holidays, these mushrooms make a perfect side dish all year around. I love having them on hand to add to bowls, salads, or even just snacking during the week.
And they are definitely meal prep friendly. I could probably eat the whole batch in 1-2 sittings if I’m being honest, so double or even triple the recipe if you love roasted mushrooms like me!
Balsamic Roasted Mushrooms
This recipe couldn’t be easier. Just five basic ingredients make a super easy and healthy side dish. And they take minimal time to prep – 5 minutes to toss everything together and the rest of the time they are roasting in the oven.
Here is what you need:
- mushrooms – any kind will work but I like baby portabella, button, or cremini best for this recipe
- balsamic vinegar
- lemon juice
- garlic powder
- fresh parsley
- lemon zest if you are feeling fancy
- salt and pepper
First half or quarter the mushrooms depending on how big they are. You could also leave them whole for a prettier presentation – totally up to you. Next, mix together the oil, balsamic, some of the lemon juice, garlic powder, and salt and pepper.
Pour mixture over mushrooms and mix well to combine. Then spread them out evenly on a baking sheet and roast for 20-25 minutes until tender. Finally, toss with a little more lemon juice and freshly chopped parsley and top with some lemon zest.
That is it! It really is that easy. If you are a veggie lover like me, or are making these for meal prep or a large crowd, I highly suggest you double or triple the recipe. They go so quickly in our house and I am eating the majority of them!
To store roasted mushrooms, simply place in a tightly sealed glass container and store in the fridge for up to a week.
Do you need to peel mushrooms?
One question I get a lot on Instagram,Â is how do I clean mushrooms. Do I wash them, rub off the dirt, peel them…?
Since mushrooms are like a sponge, I wouldn’t suggest washing them or running them under water as they will absorb the water. And that will make for a watery dish.
The best way to clean mushrooms is to dampen a paper towel or dish towel and gently rub off any dirt or residue from the mushrooms. That way they aren’t absorbing any excess water, but are still being cleaned.
If you rub them with a damp towel, there is no need to peel mushrooms as you can rub away all the dirt.
Oven Roasted Mushroom Varieties
This side dish is delicious as is, but it’s easy to change it up to add some variety. Here are a few ways you can change up the recipe:
- cheese – add some freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- more veggies – add some more veggies to the mix! I would suggest ones that roast up quickly like asparagus, peppers, zucchini, or onions
- spices – add some more spices to the mix. Some good additions would be onion powder, dried oregano, or dried thyme
What to Serve with Balsamic Roasted Mushrooms
Spicy Grilled Citrus Turkey Breast
Smoked Brisket with Dry Rub
Herb Grilled Salmon
Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Meatballs
More Healthy Vegetable Dish Dishes
Grilled Cabbage Steaks
Tahini Whipped Sweet Potatoes
Rosemary Roasted Radishes
Healthy Broccoli Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing
Crispy Roasted Breakfast Potatoes
Green Beans with Mushrooms and Bacon
Balsamic Roasted Mushrooms
- 2 pounds mushrooms, wiped clean and halved or quartered
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon lemon juice, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup parsley, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- lemon zest, to top
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl mix together avocado oil, balsamic, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, garlic powder, and salt and pepper. Add mushrooms to a medium size bowl and add balsamic mixture. Mix well to combine.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes until tender. Place in a medium size bowl and add 1 teaspoon lemon juice and chopped parsley. Stir to combine. Top with lemon zest. Enjoy!
This post contains affiliate linksÂ and I may makeÂ little bit of money if you click on and purchase the products that are linked. It doesnâ€™t cost you any extra money. The compensationÂ helps with expenses to keep ETG up and running. I appreciate your support!