Looking for a keto cream of mushroom soup recipe? This Creamy Roasted Garlic and Mushroom Soup with Bacon is comforting, delicious, and loaded with satisfying savory flavors.
This is not your average low carb cream of mushroom soup recipe
This keto soup recipe has all the classic flavors of a traditional mushroom soup, made with a mushroom medley, chicken broth, half and half, fresh herbs, butter, onion, and celery. Iâ€™m taking it to the next level by topping it with roasted garlic, a swirl of olive oil, fresh parsley, and crispy bacon … because everything is better with crispy bacon.
The key to a delicious and easy soup recipe: pre-made broth
Bone broth is all the rage right now, and for good reason: it tastes delicious, itâ€™s super satisfying, and itâ€™s beneficial for your gut health. Making your own bone broth isnâ€™t hard, especially if you have a pressure cooker, but it can be time consuming. One of my favorite ways to save time is to buy pre-made bone broth.
Not all broths are created equally — you want a bone broth that is made with organic pastured chicken bones or organic grass fed and finished beef. I like Bonafide Provisions bone broth and I keep my freezer stocked up (pun intended) to make it easy to throw together a rich savory recipe like this Creamy Roasted Garlic and Mushroom Soup with Bacon in a pinch.
While this isnâ€™t technically a 30 minute meal, it comes together in only 35 minutes, which means you can put together a keto comfort food meal any night of the week.
What mushrooms should you use for this keto cream of mushrooms soup? Are mushrooms low carb?
In general, mushrooms are low in carbs, and they have a good bit of fiber, making their net carb count very keto friendly. More importantly, mushrooms are a great source of nutrients like B vitamins, copper, potassium, magnesium, zinc.
For this recipe, you can use a mix of your favorite edible mushrooms: shiitake, cremini, baby bella, white button, porcini, portobello, whatever your preference is. Gather up 14 ounces of mushrooms from the grocery store — wild mushroom foraging is pretty dangerous if you donâ€™t know what youâ€™re doing. Then, clean the mushrooms well, slice them up, and boom: youâ€™ve got a custom mushroom medley, perfect for making a Creamy Roasted Garlic and Mushroom Soup with Bacon!
In addition to this creamy mushroom soup, check out some of my other favorite keto soup recipes:
Jalapeno Popper Chicken Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Sausage Soup
- Keto Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
- Keto Beef Stroganoff Soup
- Slow Cooker Kickin’ Chili
- Low Carb Buffalo Chicken Soup
- Italian Meatball and Noodle Soup
- Creamy Reuben Soup
- Slow Cooker Low Carb Clam Chowder with Bacon
- Slow Cooker Chicken Bacon Chowder
- Keto Wonton-less Soup
Creamy Roasted Garlic and Mushroom Soup with Bacon
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: soups and stews
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 bulb garlic (about 10 cloves)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, extra to garnish
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 small celery stalks, sliced
- 14 ounces mixed mushrooms (see blog post for suggestions), cleaned and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley, extra for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, more to taste (this is the only salt I use)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, more to taste
- 4 1/4 cups chicken stock (I use this brand)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 400Â°F.
- Cut the top 1â„4 inch off the bulb of garlic, exposing the cloves. PlaceÂ on a sheet of aluminum foil that is large enough to wrap around the entire bulb.Â Drizzle the bulb of garlic with the olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 30 minutesÂ or until the garlic is fragrant and the cloves are tender and caramelized.
- Heat the butter in a stock pot or dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add the onion and celery and sautÃ© for 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the mushrooms, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper to the pot, and sautÃ© for an additional 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms have released their liquid and are tender. Spoon out a couple tablespoons of the vegetables to use as a garnish.
- Add the chicken stock, cream, and 6 cloves of roasted garlic to the pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce to low to simmer. Let the soup simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer to a high-powered blender (alternatively, you could also use an immersion blenderÂ right in theÂ stock pot). Pulse until smooth, being careful not to overfill the blender cup as hot liquids will rise in volume. If necessary, do this in two batches.
- Pour the soup back into the stock pot, taste, and add more salt and pepper, if desired.
- Top with chopped bacon, reserved vegetables, remaining roasted garlic cloves, parsley, and a swirl of olive oil.
net carbs per serving: 7.5g
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 250
- Fat: 19.6g
- Carbohydrates: 9.5g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 11.6g
Keywords: Low carb soup recipe, Creamy mushroom soup, Keto soup, Low carb cream of mushroom soup recipe, Easy soup recipe, 30 minute meal, Keto comfort food