This easy sauteed mushrooms recipe is bursting with flavor!Â These perfect steakhouse mushrooms only require one skillet and 7 ingredients!Â Serve them as a side, folded into eggs and omelets, or over burgers, steak, chicken, pasta and potatoes!Â This versatile, foolproof recipe will quickly become a household staple! (Low-Carb, Keto-Friendly)
Easy SautÃ©ed Mushrooms Recipe
These mushrooms taste exactly like what you would get at a high end steakhouse!Â Buttery, rich, meaty and beautifully caramelized mushrooms kissed with the perfect amount of pungent garlic and delicate fresh herbs!
Made in just one pan with 7 ingredients and ready in 20 minutes or less, you are going to fall in love with these simple, but superb sautÃ©ed mushrooms!!
What are sautÃ©ed mushrooms?
SautÃ©ed mushrooms are a flavorful, savory dish prepared by sautÃ©ing mushrooms in oil or butter on the stovetop.
They can be served as a side dish, a topping for steak, burgers or toast, and also as a garnish for salads.Â As well, sautÃ©ed mushrooms can be used as an ingredient in a variety of main dishes such as beef bourguignon, coq au vin and stroganoff.
When to add salt to sautÃ©ed mushrooms?
Mushrooms contain between 80-90 percent water.Â Since salt will draw out moisture from the mushrooms, it is essential you wait until the mushrooms are browned with a golden surface, or completely cooked before seasoning them with salt.
If you add salt to mushrooms too soon in the cooking process you will end up steaming them, instead of sautÃ©ing them.
How to make sautÃ©ed mushrooms easy?
Sauteed, or pan fried mushrooms are simple to make!Â With just one pan and a handful of ingredients, you can make mushrooms that pack tons of flavor!
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.Â Add the olive oil, swirling to coat the pan.Â When the oil is hot and shimmers, add the mushrooms in a single layer, taking care to not overcrowd the pan.Â Cook the mushrooms, UNDISTURBED, for 4-5 minutes or until they begin to turn golden and release their liquid.Â Stir the mushrooms and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are crisp and caramelized but still moist, about 4 additional minutes.
- Once the moisture has released from the mushrooms and cooked off, reduce heat to medium and season the mushrooms with salt and pepper.
- Add the butter, shallots and garlic.Â SautÃ©, stirring occasionally until the garlic is fragrant and the mushrooms have absorbed the butter, about 4 minutes.Â Add fresh herbs and stir to combine.
- Remove from heat and drizzle with truffle oil if desired.Â Taste and season with more salt, pepper and herbs as desired.Â Enjoy!
How to easily saute mushrooms step by step photos:
How to know when sautÃ©ed mushrooms are done?
Mushrooms are done cooking when they are tender, evenly caramelized and golden brown in color.Â Â There should be no liquid or excess moisture left in the pan.
How long are sautÃ©ed mushrooms good for?Â Can you make sautÃ©ed mushrooms in advance?
Mushrooms can be sautÃ©ed in advance.
Cooked mushrooms should be stored in an airtight container or zip-closure bag in the refrigerator.Â Properly stored, mushrooms will last for 3-5 days in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze sautÃ©ed mushrooms?
While raw mushrooms tend to become mushy when frozen and thawed, sautÃ©ed mushrooms freeze beautifully!!
To freeze sautÃ©ed mushrooms:
- Cook.Â SautÃ© mushrooms until they are almost fully cooked and most of the liquid has been evaporated.
- Cool.Â Allow the mushrooms to cool completely.
- Flash freeze.Â Spread the mushrooms out on a wax paper lined cookie sheet.Â Transfer the mushrooms to the freezer and flash freeze for 1-3 hours, or until completely frozen.
- Bag.Â Transfer cooked mushrooms to a freezer-safe zip-closure bag.Â Seal bag, removing as much air as possible.
- Freeze.Â Store in the freezer for up to nine months.
How to reheat sautÃ©ed mushrooms?
Reheating sautÃ©ed mushrooms is quick and easy!
To reheat cooked mushrooms, make sure you thaw them in the refrigerator overnight if they are frozen.Â Next, place a skillet over medium-high heat.Â Melt a bit of butter in the pan and add the mushrooms.Â SautÃ©, stirring frequently, until warmed throughout, about 3 minutes.
Alternatively, add frozen mushroomsÂ directlyÂ to a dish that will be heated or cookedÂ withoutÂ thawing!
How many calories are in sautÃ©ed mushrooms?
The exact number of calories in pan fried mushrooms will depend upon the type of mushrooms and recipe you use.Â This easy sauteed mushrooms recipe serves 4 to 6 people.Â There are approximately 171 calories per serving based upon 4 servings.
Are sautÃ©ed mushrooms keto-friendly and low carb?
Mushrooms sauteed in butter and herbs is a fantastic low carb option for ketogenic diets!
What to do with sautÃ©ed mushrooms?
Caramelized mushrooms are extremely versatile!Â While they can be served plain as a side, they are also a wonderful, savory addition to many dishes!Â Essentially, everything tastes better if golden brown, buttery mushrooms are involved!
How to use sautÃ©ed mushrooms:
- Over Steak, Pork Chops or Chicken.Â SautÃ© mushrooms as directed in recipe.Â Grill, Pan-Fry or Broil your favorite cut of steak, chicken or pork and top with a generous portion of mushrooms.
- On top of Burgers.Â Prepare your favorite burger and top with a heaping scoop of sautÃ© mushrooms.
- Toss with Pasta.Â Cook your favorite pasta and reserve some of the cooking liquid.Â Toss pasta with mushrooms, butter, cooking liquid, parmesan cheese and fresh herbs.
- Pile on Crostini or Toast.Â Spread your favorite cheese on to slices of artisan bread.Â Top with mushrooms, fresh herbs and plenty of salt and ground pepper.
- Fold in an omelet.Â Cook your favorite omelet and add sautÃ©ed mushrooms to the filling.
- Use in quesadillas.Â Make your favorite vegetarian, chicken or beef quesadilla.Â Add mushrooms to the cheese filling.
- Fold into risotto.
- Pile on polenta or grits.
- Over hummus or dip.
- Use as a topping for pizza.
- As a topper for baked potatoes.
- Add to gravy for added flavor.
- Add more vegetables for a hearty side dish.Â Add sliced onions, bell peppers and plenty of garlic to the mushrooms.Â SautÃ© according to recipe directions.Â Serve as a side with your favorite main dish.
What to serve with sautÃ©ed mushrooms?
SautÃ©ed mushrooms are the perfect side dish to accompany just about anything!
Main dishes to serve with sautÃ©ed mushrooms:
- Grilled or Broiled Meats
- Roasted Beef or Pork Tenderloin
- Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken
- Lamb Chops
- Grilled Chicken
- Lobster Tail
- Crab Cakes
- Crab Legs
- Pan-Roasted Fish
Side dishes that pair well with sautÃ©ed mushrooms:
- Mac nâ€™ Cheese
- Potatoes â€“ mashed, roasted, au gratin, Lyonnaise, scalloped, French fries, baked potato
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Onion Rings
- Creamed Spinach
- Green Beans
What herbs go with sautÃ©ed mushrooms?
Fresh herbs are a delicious and easy way to add flavor to mushrooms!Â Try mixing and matching herbs to create a dish that is perfect for you and your taste buds!
Fresh herbs to add to mushrooms:
- Bay Leaf
- Marjoram (morel and porcini mushrooms)
- Parsley, flat-leaf
- Rosemary (morel mushrooms)
- Sage (porcini mushrooms)
What to add to sautÃ©ed mushrooms?
You can add a wide variety of spices, vegetables and other flavoring agents to create a mushroom dish that is sure to be a hit with even the pickiest eaters!Â Â Play around with fresh herbs (listed above), seasonings, vegetables and other ingredients to customize sautÃ©ed mushrooms to your specific taste!
Seasonings to add to mushrooms:
Vegetables to add to mushrooms:
- Green Beans
- Bell Peppers
- Chile Peppers
Other flavors to add to mushrooms:
- Bread Crumbs
- Marsala Wine
- Soy Sauce
- Vinegar Wine
Until next week, friends, cheers – to meaty mushrooms!
Craving MORE?Â Follow all the deliciousness onÂ Facebook,Â PinterestÂ andÂ Instagram!
The best easy sautÃ©ed mushrooms recipe👇
- 2 TBS Olive Oil
- 1 Pound Assorted Mushrooms â€“ cleaned & halved or quartered depending on size (SEE NOTES)
- Kosher Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 TBS Unsalted Butter
- 1 medium Shallot â€“ finely diced
- 2 cloves Garlic â€“ roughly chopped
- 1 Â½ TBS Fresh Thyme â€“ chopped
- 1 Â½ TBS Fresh Tarragon OR Parsley â€“ chopped
- 1-3 tsp Truffle Oil to taste (Optional)
Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the olive oil, swirling to coat the pan. When the oil is hot and shimmers, add the mushrooms in a single layer, taking care to not overcrowd the pan. (SEE NOTE) Cook the mushrooms, UNDISTURBED, for 4-5 minutes or until they begin to turn golden and release their liquid.
Stir the mushrooms and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are crisp and caramelized but still moist, about 4 additional minutes.
Once the moisture has released from the mushrooms and cooked off, reduce heat to medium and season mushrooms with salt and pepper. Add the butter, shallot and garlic. SautÃ©, stirring occasionally until the garlic is fragrant and the mushrooms have absorbed the butter, about 4 minutes. Add fresh herbs and stir to combine.
Serve: Remove from heat and drizzle with truffle oil. Taste and season with more salt, pepper and herbs as desired. Enjoy!
1. Cleaning Mushrooms:Â Â Wet, sodden mushrooms will steam rather than brown, so it is imperative you do NOT soak the mushrooms to clean them!Â Instead, either VERY LIGHTLY rinse the mushrooms with cool water and pat dry.Â OR, use a damp paper towel to clean dirt off of the mushrooms.Â Either way, make sure you transfer the cleaned mushrooms to a paper towel to absorb any extra water before cooking.Â Cook cleaned mushrooms after washing, do not store!
2. You can use any variety of mushrooms you like!Â I personally like to use a mixture of cremini, shiitake and chanterelle.
3. If you are using a smaller skillet, you may need to brown the mushrooms in two batches. Overcrowding the pan will cause the mushrooms to steam instead of brown!Â If cooking in two batches:Â Complete step 1 with half of the mushrooms. Remove the browned mushrooms and repeat step 1 with the remaining uncooked mushrooms and more oil. Return all the mushrooms to the pan and continue with the recipe as directed â€“ starting at step 2.
Recipe Serves 4-6
Nutritional Information is an estimate and will depend on exact products and quantities used.Â Nutritional Information is based upon 4 servings.
Â©No Spoon Necessary.Â All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any images without prior permission.Â Please do not republish this recipe without prior consent. If you want to reference this recipe, please do so by linking directly to this post.