I am wild about mushrooms, and this Keto Mushroom Soup is such a treat. Rich and creamy, this is a soup that works great for a light meal, or you can make the “condensed” version to use it in casseroles. Either way, I think you will agree that it is downright delicious.
This Keto Mushroom Soup is Pure Comfort Food!
I must confess that I haven’t always loved soup.
Maybe it is the whole living in Florida thing. Warm weather most of the year doesn’t exactly scream soup.
Or maybe it is just that I never had the RIGHT soups.
Since I started following a low carb and keto diet, I find myself craving soup all the time. There is something magical about a rich and creamy bowl of goodness.
My latest obsession is this Keto Mushroom Soup.
Truth be told, when I originally made it, I planned on pureeing it. But then I tried it, and I knew I had to leave it as it was. This recipe is pure bliss, and I think you will agree – this one is a keeper. Cold weather not required.
How to Make Keto Mushroom Soup
1 First, melt your butter in a large sauce pan. Add your mushrooms, onions, garlic, and thyme. Cook for about 7 minutes, or until the mushrooms have released most of their liquid.
2 Next, add the chicken broth and cream cheese. Cook until the cream cheese melts.
3 Finally, stir in heavy cream and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are mushrooms good for keto?
Yes! Mushrooms are an excellent option for keto! A one-cup serving of sliced mushrooms (70g) has 2.3g of carbohydrates and .7g of fiber. So just 1.6 grams of carbs per serving.
Additionally, mushrooms are a great source of B vitamins, vitamin D, and they contain immune-stimulating properties.
What kind of mushrooms should I use for this recipe?
With more than 300 edible mushroom varieties, there are certainly a lot of options! I’ve made this with both baby Bella’s and white mushrooms, and both were great.
Many times you can find pre-sliced mushrooms, and if time is of concern, that is certainly an option. I prefer to buy loose mushrooms so that I can inspect them. Mushrooms should feel moderately damp but should not be slimy. The texture should be springy, and the smell sweet and earthy.
Because they contain a lot of moisture, mushrooms are very perishable. Store them in a partially open zip-top bag, or keep them in their original container. Once the box is open, cover it with plastic wrap. Don’t cover with a paper towel or store in a paper bag.
Most experts agree that the best way to clean mushrooms is a clean, dry brush. A toothbrush kept explicitly for this purpose works great. Washing them can cause discoloration, but this isn’t a huge issue when they are going to be cooked. If you do decide to wash them, place them in a salad spinner to dry so that they don’t hold on to excess moisture.
Variations for This Recipe
- For condensed soup, reduce the broth to 3/4 of a cup and the heavy cream to 1/2 cup.
- Add 2 teaspoons hot paprika.
- Add 1 teaspoon dried dill.
- Add 2 tablespoons coconut aminos.
If You Like This Recipe You May Also Like:
- For a light but delicious meal, you are going to go wild for this Keto Caesar Salad recipe.
- Looking for dinner inspiration? Don’t miss these Keto Casserole Recipes.
Keto Mushroom Soup Recipe
I love this Keto Cream Mushroom Soup. Everything about it works for me. Earthy mushrooms balance the richness of the garlicky, creamy liquid. This recipe will become a cold-weather kitchen staple.
Keto Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter
- 12 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 4 cups chicken bone broth or regular broth
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Melt butter in a large saucepan
- Add mushrooms, onions, garlic, and thyme.
- Cook until the mushrooms have released most of their liquid, about 7 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and cream cheese to the pan, and cook until the cream cheese melts.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and add heavy cream. Simmer for 15 minutes.
More Low Carb Soup Recipes to Try:
- Hamburger Beef Soup is a hearty soup that is loaded with nutrition.
- Keto Jambalaya is loaded with protein and is the perfect filling family meal.